The Geneva varsity swim team competed in the TAPPS Division III State Swim Meet last week in Mansfield. Both the girls and boys teams placed fourth overall in their divisions.
This was the first time that an individual or relay team earned a first place finish at the State Meet. Sophomore Gabe Ross claimed the state championship in the 50 yard freestyle and the boys 200 yard freestyle relay team of Ben Ross, Brooks Fessler, Austin Dennis and Gabe Ross also claimed gold.
The Eagles girls team had a total of 176 points to finish behind The Woodlands Christian Academy in first with 251 points, Logos Preparatory Academy in second with 210.5 points and St. Thomas Episcopal in third with 202 points.
The Eagles boys team finished in fourth place as well with 145 points. Veritas Academy was first with 192, Legacy Prep Christian Academy was second with 187 and Logos Preparatory Academy was third with 150 points.
Team members are from front row (l-r): Ashley Salter, Brooke Secor, Peyton Brehmer, Alyssa Salter, Katie Grace Styles and Piper Hoke. Back row: Brooks Fessler, Emily Swipes, Lauren Abell, Alexa Georgelos, Austin Dennis, Ben Ross, Gabe Ross and Kevin Vogt. The team is coached by Joye McInturff and Matthew Ross.
“This team has worked hard this season improving in competition but also in building a team of leadership and support for one another. They have motivated each other to be their best and the State Meet was an example of that. I am truly thankful for each one on the team and for Coach Ross. My hope is that the sacrifice and training the team accomplished this season will give them confidence to tackle future tasks in and out of the water,” Coach McInturff said.
Individual and relay results were:
- Alyssa Salter, Alexa Georgelos, Peyton Brehmer and Katie Grace Styles placed sixth in the girls 200 yard medley relay (2:07.42).
- Gabe Ross, Ben Ross, Brooks Fessler and Austin Dennis finished third in the boys 200 yard medley relay (1:51.34).
- Peyton Brehmer finished seventh (2:12.50) and Brooke Secor placed 15th (2:22.87) in the girls 200 yard freestyle.
- Ashley Salter came in fourth place in the girls 200 yard IM (2:29.41).
- Katie Grace Styles finished 12th (28.16) and Lauren Abell finished 14th (29.05) in the girls 50 yard freestyle.
- Gabe Ross placed first (21.92), Ben Ross finished sixth (23.86) and Austin Dennis was 12th (25.46) in the boys 50 yard freestyle.
- Ashley Salter finished 11th (1:09.04) and Lauren Abell was 15th (1:17.05) in the girls 100 yard butterfly.
- Peyton Brehmer was sixth place in the girls 100 yard freestyle (58.56).
- Gabe Ross finished second (47.33) and Ben Ross placed sixth (53.68) in the boys 100 yard freestyle.
- Alyssa Salter finished in fifth place (5:24.19) and Brooke Secor placed 14th (6:23.48) in the girls 500 yard freestyle.
- Ben Ross, Brooks Fessler, Austin Dennis and Gabe Ross took first place in the boys 200 yard freestyle relay (1:38.64).
- Alyssa Salter finished sixth (1:12.75) and Alexa Georgelos was 13th (1:23.58) in the girls 100 yard breaststroke.
- Brooks Fessler finished 15th in the boys 100 yard breaststroke (1:18.53).